PDG Aviation Services offers a wide range of helicopter and aeroplane services to utility and private clients. Services include commercial air transport; external load operations; airborne data acquisition; aerial filming; aerial survey.
The company employs 90 staff distributed between operating bases at Inverness, Cumbernauld and Birmingham operates and maintains a fleet of 19 aircraft of various types.
A comprehensive Safety Management System is in place and the company is moving towards ISO 14001/45001 accreditation.
Main duties and responsibilities
The Health, Safety and Environment Manager, reporting through the Safety Director, leads the effort to improve health, safety and environmental performance across the entire range of company activities.
- Providing expert advice and assistance on HSE matters to the group management
- Development, maintenance, update, review and revision of the Safety and Environmental Management Systems including an intranet area and blog, organisation of the Safety Committee (Safety Action Group (SAG)), organisation of and participation in the Safety Review Group (Safety Review Board (SRB)), Writing internal and external HSE reports and ensuring that hazards are addressed in a timely manner.
- Reporting incidents and accidents as required by legislation and liaising with the Competent Authorities with respect to mandatory and voluntary reports
- Maintaining an appropriate register of legal requirements and compliance
- Providing feedback about ongoing safety issues, coaching managers and colleagues on safe working practices, distributing relevant and up-to-date safety information to staff and management, identifying safety training requirements and delivery of the required training, development and delivery of health, safety, environmental and wellbeing training to new and current colleagues.
- Represent the company at external audits. Conducting Site audits and identify potential improvements.
- Accident investigation and reduction of risk of reoccurrence, lead the Risk Assessment process and ensure safe systems of work, enforcing policies, processes and procedures
- Contribute to the company health, safety and environmental strategy,
- Develop policies, processes and procedures to adhere to statutory regulations and certification requirements, develop policies, processes and procedures to adhere to statutory regulations and certification requirements, promote Health and Safety, Environmental and Wellbeing awareness and Just Culture in the Company.
- Implement measures related to occupational safety and accident prevention as well as in-company environment policies and procedures. Implement opportunities to use resources more efficiently and promote energy saving iniatives.
- Background in the aviation industry and aviation safety
- Ability to analyse information and write concise reports
- Able to prioritise and organise workflow
- Be able to educate, persuade, influence and communicate at all levels
- Able to work autonomously and as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Diplomacy, integrity and discretion
- At least 3 years experience in an aviation Safety environment
- Experience within a Health, Safety and Environment role
- Presentational / Training experience
- In depth understanding of management systems (health & safety, environment)
- Excellent understanding of Regulations, Risk Management, Risk Assessment and Root Cause Analysis
- Follows and keeps up to date with industry developments and statutory requirements.
- Working knowledge of ISO accreditations
- NEBOSH General Certificate or equivalent
- ICAO/EASA Safety Management Systems
- Full UK/EU driving licence
- Right to reside and work in the UK
- Environmental Qualification preferred
- Ideally internal auditor for ISO 9001, 14001, 45001
Other Job Requirements
- Flexible attitude to working hours
- This role will include travel to all company bases and occasional travel to client sites
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.